Wood Cutting Boards for the Kitchen Work TriangleWooden cutting boards have been widely used for centuries. A good wooden cutting board is a kitchen utensil used as a protective surface on which to cut or slice things and is truly the workhorse of the kitchen. Using wood has advantages over plastic in that it is somewhat self-healing; shallow cuts in the wood will close up on their own. Wood also has natural anti-septic properties.
Masterfully made boards of the highest quality and made of hardwoods with tightly grained wood and small pores, are best for wooden cutting surfaces. Good hardness and tight grain help reduce scoring of the cutting surface and absorption of liquid and dirt into the surface.
It has been said that a good wooden cutting board is worth its weight in gold. They are designed to be useful for cutting and beautiful for serving. While beautiful, it is also functional and used for cutting, kneading, serving, you name it, it is an important element for serious chefs and kitchen design fanatics.
These are some care practices to be aware of when buying wood cutting boards:
- Cutting boards require care! They should be treated a mineral oil for cutting boards. When new, every day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month after that. Treating is necessary to keep the board from drying and cracking.
- Placing an oiled board on a granite counter top means it slides very easily. That’s annoying but there is an easy fix. Just put a sheet of saran wrap under the board.
- Wooden cutting boards can’t be placed in a dishwasher and should not be soaked in water. You may want to use a disinfectant and not to use power cleansers. You clean them by wiping with a wet cloth and mild detergent then let it dry in a dish rack.
Cutting board – hardwood board – fits Just Stainless Steel bowl I.D. 16″ x 10″ or larger.
Overall wooden surface size 11″ x 17″
- JCB-21117 – Download Specification Sheet
Cutting board – hardwood board – fits Just Stainless Steel bowl I.D. 16″ x 16″ or larger.
Overall wooden surface size 17″ x 17″
- JCB-21717 – Download Specification Sheet
Cutting board – hardwood – fits Just Stainless Steel bowl I.D. 16″ x 7-1/2″.
Overall wooden surface size 8-1/2″ x 14-1/2″
- JCB-28517 – Download Specification Sheet
Cutting board – hardwood – fits Just Stainless Steel bowl I.D. 10″ dia. Flat bottom.
Overall wooden surface size 11 1/8″ diameter.
- JCB-210 Cutting Boards – Download Specification Sheet
Cutting board – hardwood – fits Just Stainless Steel bowl I.D. 16″ dia.
Overall wooden surface size 17 1/8″ diameter.
- JCB-216 cutting boards wood – Download Specification Sheet